PHOEBUS TEN PIN BOWLING ASSOCIATION: 1949 - 1958
~ THE BEGINNING ~
In 1947, several members of the Peninsula Bowling League contacted the
American Bowling Congress (ABC) in an attempt to acquire
a charter. However at the time, the Norfolk-Portsmouth area
bowlers were also attempting to acquire a charter.
Because both groups were not large enough individually to obtain a
charter, they joined together to form the Norfolk Bowling
Association in 1948. This was necessitated by the fact that the ABC prohibited two (2)
associations within a 25 mile radius from having separate charters. So with the help of Charles Wood, Paul Capps, Jack Hair and W.C. "Pop" Morgan
from the Peninsula and Henry Gallop, Robert Repass and Joseph O'Hop from the South-side, along with Bob Lynch, the ABC Field Representative, worked out the details for a charter. The Norfolk Bowling Association was officially
chartered in December, 1948.
During the 1948-1949 bowling season,Charles Wood, Mark Hutchinson, Edgar
Carroll and several other bowlers were granted a waiver from ABC to
form an association.
This waiver was based on the premise that the
only transportation between the Peninsula and the South-side was by
ferry. So in February, 1950 the Phoebus Ten Pin Bowling
Association was chartered.The first president of the newly
formed association was Edgar l. Carroll with E. R. Wert serving as
The area grew from one center, Mayflower Lanes located in Phoebus, to three with the
addition of Naval Weapons Lanes (1954) and Sports Bowl on Warwick Boulevard in Newport News (1956).This was due to the increasing popularity of Ten Pin Bowling.
Charles W. (Bill) Wood Jr., W.E. Jack, Dorothy Jack, Myrtle
Hutchinson and several other women formed the Hampton Women's
Bowling Association (chartered in 1952).
Matthew Bennie, Paul
Capps, Jack McDervitt and Charles W. (Bill) Wood Jr. helped
organize the Virginia State Bowling Association (chartered in 1952).
In 1952, Mark E. Hutchinson, Mike Panz and Charles W. (Bill)
Wood Jr. formed the first Junior Bowling Program in the state of
In 1954, Joe Robinson, Mark E. Hutchinson and Charles
W. (Bill) Wood Jr. were instrumental in forming the Southeast
Bowling Congress (includes the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia,
Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and
In 1958, the mens
Association changed it's name to Hampton Roads Bowling
Association. This was predicated on the fact that the jurisdiction
now encompassed the cities of Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg,
Yorktown and the counties of Gloucester, James City and York, Virginia.
THE 1960'S AND 1970'S
The 1960's and 1970's was a time for growth and expansion. With the ever-increasing numbers of bowlers heading to their nearest bowling center, the need to add centers was obvious. Centers added during this time were; Newmarket Bowl (1960), Circle Lanes (1960), Langley Lanes (1960), Colony Lanes (1961), Ft. Eustis Lanes (1962), Fairlanes Hidenwood (1963), Century Lanes (1963), Wythe Lanes (1963), Cheatham Annex Lanes (1968), Ft. Monroe Lanes (1969) and County Lanes (1978).
THE 1980's AND 1990's
These two decades are when scoring skyrocketed. Many records that were untouchable, have been reached and surpassed. This was because technology came to the forefront in every aspect of the game of Ten Pins. ABC (American Bowling Congress) and WIBC (Women's International Bowling Congress) attempted to control scoring with the introduction of the "System of Bowling.
The System was developed to address all areas (lane dressing, bowling balls and bowling pins) of our sport. First were the lanes, by trying to level the playing field with the amount of lane dressing (oil) applied. Second was the bowling equipment. Bowling equipment manufacturers saw that by changing the lane conditions, current equipment would limit scoring. So, new and better equipment must be developed. Again, technology was the primary tool in this development.
The bowling centers in our area saw many changes. This included newly built centers and some centers being sold, renovated or closed. The new centers were: Coast Guard Bowling Center (1981), Denbigh Lanes (1983); Victory Lanes (1984), Williamsburg Bowl (1986), Naval Weapons - Twin Pin (1987) and RTC Yorktown Lanes (1989).
Sold centers consisted of: Newmarket Bowl (1994) and changed to Classic Lanes (1995); Denbigh Lanes became Pinboy's of Denbigh (1995), sold again and became AMF Denbigh Lanes (1997) and later closed; Victory Lanes became Pinboy's of York (1995), sold again and became AMF York Lanes (1997); Fairlanes Hidenwood became AMF Hidenwood (1995) and later closed.
Renovated centers were: Sports Bowl changed to Ten Pin Bowling Inc. (1989); Circle Lanes changed to Sparetimes (1992); County Lanes became Village Lanes (1993); Williamsburg Bowl became AMF Williamsburg Lanes (1997).
Closed centers were: Colony Lanes (1986), Naval Weapons Lanes and Wythe Lanes (1987), Ten Pin Bowling Inc. (1991), Coast Guard Bowling Center (1993), Cheatham Annex Lanes (1996), RTC Yorktown Lanes (1997).
2000 to 2010
2005 The United States Bowling Congress
The United States Bowling Congress is a sports membership organization dedicated to ten-pin bowling in the United States. It was formed in 2005 by a merger of the American Bowling Congress, Women's International Bowling Congress, Young American Bowling Alliance, and USA Bowling. The USBC's headquarters are located in Arlington, Texas, after having moved from the Milwaukee suburb of Greendale, Wisconsin in November, 2008.
The Virginia Peninsula USBC
2010 / Present
Several years leading up to 2010 the Hampton Womens Bowling Association, Hampton Roads Bowling Association and the Peninsula Area Youth merger committee worked hard to bring together the three association for a merger.
In June 2010 a joint meeting between all three Associations voted to merge and the nomanating committee presented a slate of canidiates for Officers and Board of Directors.
The mandates of the membership to the new association was to bring fresh new ideas.
In May of 2011 Fort Monroe Lanes was closed due to the closure of the Army Base, Century Lanes in Hampton also closed but due to the actions of one bowler who love bowling there he bought it and re-opened the center in time for the 2011 / 2012 bowling season.
2011 River Lanes and Grill in Kilmarnock, VA. is established.
May of 2013 Classic Lanes in Newport News was closed.